Australian Model Car Racers Forum
Axman

River City 12 hour Enduro

Thanks for your kind words and posting results Benno. It was great to see your guys get a podium.. your super fast motor change and teams driving skills pulled you out of a black hole for the best recovery I have ever seen. Very happy you went back to NSW with something to show for your outstanding effort.  I was really happy with our teams 2nd place, my club mates did an outstanding job of keeping the car out of trouble and just clocking up the laps. We had a trouble free run and only stopped once for a tyre change.  I felt bad for the Victorian Phoenix team who had a terrible run right from the start but kept plugging away regardless.. they will no doubt reverse the tables  when we go down to Slotfest later in the year. Crash damage ruined the chances of two very fast teams, Narangba while in 2nd place in the day section and Magic while in 3rd in the night section. Both teams suffered bent chassis in the motorbox area that dashed their chances of a podium. The local Rivercity Am team had a really good go.. their 5th place in the day section and 4th in the night section was outstanding considering apart from racing and marshalling they also had the juggling act of Phill Morrow helping me in race control and Stephen doing the Slotstream commentary.  As we all know now Stephen did an outstanding job both on and off the track ( no pun intended) and I was so happy for him at the end of the race when Werner from Ace Hobbies presented him with the winning GT3 car as a gift for his contribution to the promotion of slotcar racing...  for the first time in 12 hours Stephen was almost speechless.. and it came with a rare bit of German humour... "only driven on weekends said Werner."   

• Like 3

Well that was an awesome weekend. I Can’t wait for the next one already . From the moment I left home with out my suit case 😱🤡😭we had all sorts of stories along the way . That’s what makes weekends away with like minded mates racing slotcars so  much fun  . Regardless of the results, don’t get me wrong we all want good results,  but the fun on these road trips and weekends is priceless. The Roller coaster ride that Ben describes in his post is so very true . It was awesome to have the opportunity to drive in such a team of gun 🔫 slingers . 

Donna and Noel are certainly the hostess and host you dream of . So relaxing at what we have nicknamed Tranquility base . Must be something in the beer 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🎉😋 at that place with 1st, 2nd and 3rd coming from us relaxing around the fire 🔥 drinking beer . Foxy with a tough day 8th but still laughing at 3am with me, waking up the local roosters 🦊 🐓😂😂

If you have never gone away racing at these events you are short changing yourself from buckets of fun . Well I suppose you can watch it on your couch now with the fantastic slotstream tv 📺 broadcasts . How good was the commentary. Get him on fox channel and get ride of Lowndesy. 😂😂😂 We we’re so tragic we watch the replay on our 12hr drive home 📺🧐😳. 😂😂 Just to see if all that bad luck really did happen to us ☠️🧐😳😭😂😂

Anyway I hope that after such a quality event like this one people will be inspired to take on interstate racing and grow our small hobby . With Stephens new addition of the broadcast also now adding a new element of professionalism to the events.                         I’m really looking  forward to our own race meeting Bathurst in July at the Bull Ring.Its going to be great again with Qld racers and Vics in the mix again .Its  NSW time to shine I hope 🤞  

Thanks everyone for such a fun weekend and see you at the Bull Ring. Keeping it light hearted ,with intense racing is always our system. 

Cheers Pagey 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🎉

One thing I’d like to mention and that I noticed and which I think needs to be mentioned is to do with Marshall’s now there were times where there’d be two Marshall’s on a corner and multiple cars would come off and BOTH of them would only use one hand to pick up the cars now if the Marshall’s used both hands to clear track for the other drivers there would be less track calls and timing for racing would be so much better 

I’m not meaning for when I crash I just mean in general there would be less track calls and higher lap totals if Marshall’s just used both hands like a normal person it’s simple you have two hands use them 

1 hour ago, Cody B. said:

I’m not meaning for when I crash I just mean in general there would be less track calls and higher lap totals if Marshall’s just used both hands like a normal person it’s simple you have two hands use them 

Your probably right, but it is what it is, and marshals don’t change the way they marshal, no matter how much drivers wish it.

That Graf that Jim was good enough to put together is really helpful. We lost in total with all our dramas 120 laps over the 12hrs . Meaning we were in touching distance of ace . But remember they were in cruise mode for along time in the back end of the race driving very sensible. While we were at full attack mode for 6hrs . 😂😂

• Like 1

And more numbers from Jimmy ..... 

Also worked out distance travelled.

48 Mtr track x 5487 laps = 263 K's or 163 miles @ 22 KPH or 13.6 MPH average

add the 2000 + K's road trip that was one busy weekend,well done guys.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Is Foxy ok 🦊Numbers , Numbers 🤔🤤  Control yourself big fella . 😱😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2019 at 11:09 PM, Alan Paterson said:

Enjoyed watching the even line online. Cars look quick thats for sure.

Question. With over a dozen different bodies, why is everyone favoring McLarens? Just wondering if they vacforms, surely others must be just as competitive? 

Cheers gents

regards

Al in Cape Town

Hey Alan, 

Not real sure, i like the shape of them ... but i dont think there is much if anything in the different bodies. I have an Audi body that is as fast on the Fola chassis as the McLaren 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pagey said:

Is Foxy ok 🦊Numbers , Numbers 🤔🤤  Control yourself big fella . 😱😂😂😂😂

OK got home late today - have been to the pub and had a nice meal nearby and now have a big screen and keyboard - so - numbers will be coming.

Just as an entree the podium was really close -  ACE 1st to BVR 2nd was 60 laps over 12 hours.

That's 5 laps per hour or 1 lap per 12 minutes.

BULL Ring were roughly the same dist behind BVR which means 2 laps per 12 mins behind ACE .

That is close in my book.

BTW

ACE averaged at 7.87 secs per lap

BVR averaged at 7.96 secs per lap

BULL RING averaged at 8.06 secs per lap

So about a tenth per lap including troubles.

More to come Pagey but time for red wine and then sleepys now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well done Mark.

Given that data, would you agree that small factors have a large bearing on the result. 🤐

7 hours ago, Garry J said:

Well done Mark.

Given that data, would you agree that small factors have a large bearing on the result. 🤐

Following up on Garry's comment the winning team sharing the same controller and having less driver changes must have been a big help.  

My only comment on those stats is what I expected in Qld . Qld don’t crash !!! We spoke of it on the 12hr drive up . Don’t crash as they won’t . I think in 12hrs Ace drivers , Noel had one off that I witnessed. Werner very much the same and Jon was terrible with less that a hand full . Our team had more than that in the first bracket. Awesome consistent racing with fantastic concentration for 12hrs . If anyone questions those results watch the video. It doesn’t lie . Great driving Champs . 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Haha 1

It's not just that Pagey.. have you noticed Werner and Noel keep practising and most wonder why... they can already drive fast and stay on. What they are really doing in practise is working on a race rhythm that continuously pumps out laps times that are as close as possible to be in the same 10th.  

It's absolutely a waste of time in racing if you're only good enough to get an occasional fast lap time on Black of say 7.85  but your real average is 8.0 to 8.1.  What that 7.85 lap is telling you is the car is fast, it can do it, but you the the driver would be much better of trying to get a nice 7.9 sec rhythm going... then you're going to build up laps.

• Like 2

Plus the effort in car prep . All the little things that add up to lots of things . Noel is never satisfied with the car . Continuing to keep developing it till the last minute. Very well deserved win with modest champions . Makes me want to keep improving to chase them down . We need benchmarks to better our own levels . Not have a defeatist attitude. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Garry J said:

Well done Mark.

Yes agreed Garry it’s all about 1 percenters and I’m glad some one of your experience has brought it up. We did hours of testing at the track moving weight around on the chassis and testing it across the lanes to see how the car performed. We also did 2 x 45 mins runs to gauge tyre wear and tested tyre sizes from inside to outside lanes to work out what our times maybe in the race. ( we worked it out to 7.8s to 7.9s ) so we weren’t far off.  Once we were happy we then worked out a top 5 in order of where we may have qualified for lane choice, this was to give us the best use of our tall tyres. There is no substitute for testing or development in my opinion oh and practice. All of the above is the part I enjoy nearly more than the racing. So yeah all the 1 percenters equaled the 1/10 average over 2nd place we were able to obtain. 

• Like 3

On 4/10/2019 at 11:24 PM, Garry J said:

Well done Mark.

Hi Gents,

Absolutely correct and I think that some previous comments have added to this theme of small factors and Noel has been gracious enough to enlighten us on how to do it.

I called Noel up a couple of weeks out from the race and he had just got home from a 2 - 3 hour tuning and practise session. Have a guess how many others were at the track developing their cars - NONE - he had the track to himself.

So here we have a guy that has won a shit load of races and is renowned for spending hours developing and tuning his car at the track doing exactly that and practising - by himself. Its no coincidence that his cars are fast and he wins a lot.

On the subject of car tuning I commend to you all the treatise by Jan (Springbok Racer) in the Discussion/Workshop area of this forum - there you will find the stuff that the top racers do to get their car to optimum performance.

Now a few numbers for Pagey

Day Section

BVR set the fastest lap and overall and fastest on 5 of the lanes - ACE filled the other 3.

ACE however did the most laps in a bracket and set most laps on 5 lanes followed by BVR who did most on 3 (including equaling ACE on White) whilst Narangba did most on Purple.

1-R1 Day.jpg

Night Session

This was a very interesting race as ACE and Bull Ring of the podium 3 had had issues which affected their result in the Day section and would have to work hard to come back - which they both did.

BVR were again the rocket team with fastest time overall and fastest time on 6 of the 8 lanes with Bull Ring and River City getting 1 each - NOTE that ACE did not have the fastest car on any lane!

Most laps on a lane was by ACE who had the most on 6 of the 8 lanes with Bull Ring equaling them on Yellow and getting the remaining 2.

1-R2 Night.jpg

Overall

Of the 16 brackets BVR set fast time on 11 lanes, ACE on 3 lanes with Bull Ring and River City having 1 each.

Of the 16 brackets ACE scored most laps on 11 lanes, Bull Ring on 3 (including equaling ACE once) , BVR  on 3 (including equaling ACE once) and Narangba 1.

In summary having the fastest car does not get you the most laps as noted by Pagey above.

In a long race there are many sad tales to tell but I note that only BVR of the podium three had no car issues in the Day or Night sessions.

Overall I had a great time catching up with you all even though Team Phoenix did not rise as we had hoped due to a variety of reasons - my actual race highlight was as builder of the chassis that BVR used which the Axman has labelled the Pla-Fox 🙄

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As a follower who did not actually make it to the event, where can I see the video of some of what happened. I hope to come and watch another time.

12 hours ago, FoxBox said:

In summary having the fastest car does not get you the most laps as noted by Pagey above.

Cheers

Foxy, I can guarantee having the the fastest car, not coming out of the slot, with the best drivers will give you the most laps.

:)

- Cam

PS, love the stats, you know statisticians are the sluts of mathematics though...

PPS, you are a legend statistician though, so don't take me seriously...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Camber said:

Foxy, I can guarantee having the the fastest car, not coming out of the slot, with the best drivers will give you the most laps. 

:)

- Cam

PS, love the stats, you know statisticians are the sluts of mathematics though...

PPS, you are a legend statistician though, so don't take me seriously...

Agree totally Cam but all I was trying to say is that the winners only had 2 of these 3 (the most important 2) being not coming off and having the best drivers (which is almost the same thing but not quite).

Agree totally re the statistician comment also - it is well known and as noted by Benjamin Disraeli: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."  😧

Sorry you missed it and hope to see you soon.

Cheers

Hey Foxy,

I heard the statistician quote from Adam Spencer who is an Aussie math legend for me.

Love your work and look forward to catching up with you. Goes to show the permutations slot car racing car throw up.

- Cam