Australian Model Car Racers Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FoxBox

Controller Plugs - Standardisation

Hi All

Victoria, South Australia, NSW and Tasmania racers currently wire a female 3 pin plug to their controllers as that is the way their tracks are wired.

To be able to use their controllers for races in Queensland they needed to make an adaptor that looks like this which I made for the upcoming 12 hour race at River City Raceway in Queensland: -

image.png

I was quite disturbed by this device as it has the ability to kill somebody (a child or someone not too smart) as it has two sets of potential live pins. Probably illegal to make or own one as well?

For Queenslanders coming to other states it was not an issue as they required an adaptor with two female plugs so there was no chance of accidental misuse.

I sent the image  to Kim Axton with my concerns who saw the issue as important and immediately gained the support of Andrew Bartholomew, Jan Roestorf, Garry Johnson and Mark Stockwell who will modify their tracks to accept the female 3 flat pin plug currently used everywhere else.

It is also possible that River City Raceway will also have converted their track as well by the time of the upcoming 12 hour race.

Kim asked me to do some wiring diagrams for you to show the correct wiring for the 3 flat pin female plug so here it is. I understand that many racers with the current 2 female plug adaptors that Queenslanders use interstate will be donating them to River City Raceway to enable non traveling racers to enjoy the track without having to rewire their controllers - a great idea.

So here you go with the wiring diagram - please note this is looking at the TOP of the plug!

image.png

• Like 1

Or if you prefer the simple version

Red - Active

White - Neutral

Black - Earth

• Like 1

That works for the US controllers.

If the plug is labelled - not all are.

Diagram was done to spec 😀

Would be awesome if RiverCity was done before the enduro :D

Mark,

That's crap, all sockets are marked A N & E. I've never had any issue using the correct terminology.

Also the instructions are vague as to which end of the socket you're looking at.

3 hours ago, FoxBox said:

I sent the image  to Kim Axton with my concerns who saw the issue as important and immediately.................

Hi Mark,

From what I have been told, Kim is the reason why all the tracks in Queensland ended up being different in the first place......just saying.....wink, wink....LOL

Anyway, good that we are all eventually going to find common ground with this.

Cheers,

JanR

• Haha 1

I have updated the diagram to erase any possibility of misunderstanding it.

Just a quick update on this. The Narangba, BVR and Ecurie Elite.au tracks have all been changed over. So all our interstate visitors will now be able to use their controllers as is.

Cheers,

JanR

We are looking at changing the Toowoomba tracks as well, to attempt consistency.

On the issue of safety as long as a child (or an idiot) doesnt plug an extension lead into the track its safe !! I believe all should have changed the other way with round earth. Kim was on the right track years ago with in terms of electrical safety...

Pete

Nomad Raceway

1 hour ago, Nomadman said:

On the issue of safety as long as a child (or an idiot) doesnt plug an extension lead into the track its safe !! I believe all should have changed the other way with round earth. Kim was on the right track years ago with in terms of electrical safety...

I agree with you Pete

I have been saying that for years

The push to change in Queensland came primarily from "suspected" issues with brakes and the round pin. Not because Queenslanders are conformist by nature.

Queenslanders seem to have a lot of issues with brakes not working. We're hoping that getting rid of the round pin and its tiny contact area will fix the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2