Australian Model Car Racers Forum

2020 Lexan Shootout (aka HSC Endurance Championships)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK Gents   Racers came from the four corners of the globe to contest what will in all likelihood be the final Lexan Shootout at this fabulous track and venue.   GT3  

Breaking News   Werner of ACE Hobbies has contacted me and offered to provide motors for the Plafit FLM Team Race for this event which I think is great.   So a big Thank-you is due

A few more pics of the presentations etc. Thanks to Stephen Clarke (SlotStream) for these.  

Posted Images

Hi All

Please note that after some testing and discussion I will open up the GT3 race a little by allowing racers to choose to use either a 12T or 13T  for this class.

The following information is copied from my evolving original post announcing this event but I am reproducing it here to ensure it gets read.

Regulations

In essence the 2020 regulations as posted on ACE Hobbies Web Site for these cars will be in force: -
https://www.acehobbies.com.au/galleries

BUT PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING FOR THIS EVENT

GT3

1) May use a 12T or 13T pinion at your discretion.

2) Cars must have a min of 0.5mm clearance at all times (other than at Tech where it is 1.0mm as per regs).

(NOTE that any car deemed to be damaging the track must be removed whatever).

FLM
1) Lights are not required for FLM as there is no night racing at this event - this means also that the light buckets do not require installation and the light lens may be painted in any fashion (including the body colour).

2) Cars must have a min of 0.5mm clearance at all times( other than at Tech where it is 1.0mm as per regs).

Here is a summary of the 2020 Regulations with any variances highlighted that will be in force for this event: -

image.png

Here is a link to a PDF version of this summary if you want to download and print for reference: -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgv9b0iw3rkynhu/Spec Chart - Lexan Shootout 2020.pdf?dl=0

Have a Merry Xmess with you friends and family and stay safe.

Cheers Fox

• Like 1
On 12/23/2019 at 12:41 PM, FoxBox said:

BUT PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING FOR THIS EVENT

GT3

1) May use a 12T or 13T pinion at your discretion.

2) Cars must have a min of 0.5mm clearance at all times (other than at Tech where it is 1.0mm as per regs).

FLM
1) Lights are not required for FLM as there is no night racing at this event - this means also that the light buckets do not require installation and the light lens may be painted in any fashion (including the body colour).

2) Cars must have a min of 0.5mm clearance at all times( other than at Tech where it is 1.0mm as per regs).

Edited by Benno

Thanks Benno

1 hour ago, BrettC said:

So what were the results of the testing and discussion, what’s better at Hornsby?

Re 12T or 13T it depends on your motor in combination with your rear tyre diameter and preferred driving style

As it BYO motor and you will have 12T and 13T pinions to hand it is easy to sort it out.

Off for the gluttony session now so Merry Xmess to you all.

• Like 1

That’s the most diplomatic way I have ever come across of being told.

” We’ll keep our secrets to ourselves “.

oh well that’s part of the home track advantage, I’ll have to come up and do what Mr Pollard did last year! ;)

enjoy your gluttony. :)

Edited by BrettC

Ha Ha

21 hours ago, BrettC said:

That’s the most diplomatic way I have ever come across of being told.

” We’ll keep our secrets to ourselves “.

oh well that’s part of the home track advantage, I’ll have to come up and do what Mr Pollard did last year! ;)

My Mistake as I should have made it a little clearer when you asked: -

On 12/25/2019 at 11:31 AM, BrettC said:

So what were the results of the testing and discussion, what’s better at Hornsby?

To more accurately address you question I will break it into its three components.

TESTING

Only one racer has actually tested the 13T pinion on his GT3 at HSC and on the day (practice day for the HSC Porsche Cup 8 Hour) he concluded results were inconclusive. The tester (let's just call him 'The Stig') is one of the country's finest racers and tuners and despite the inconclusiveness of his testing he definitely liked the idea of having the flexibility of the pinion choice.

Nobody but 'The Stig' has actually done any testing and there is absolutely NO local knowledge of the change as it was announced here to you all at the same time.

DISCUSSION

The discussion started when I and a few others started to talk about the speed comparison between the P. Cup cars and the GT3 cars. The P. Cup car is the same weight as the GT3 with the same motor and is happily pulling a 13T pinion while the GT3 with all its chassis sophistication but with 12T pinion is not much faster; a good P. Cup Car is doing high 5.4's while a good GT3 is pulling mid 5.3's (under good conditions for both).

Every GT3 car I have driven feels under-powered (I am not alone in this observation) and so I started to think why not put a 13T on them or at least give the choice. This I figured would allow a motor specific tuning option particularly as we are supplying our own motors for this race. I figured that this was also the most cost effective way of opening it up a little as we all have both size pinions already.

WHATS BETTER AT HORNSBY

But back to the BIG question at hand and as I said in my earlier response -

23 hours ago, FoxBox said:

Re 12T or 13T it depends on your motor in combination with your rear tyre diameter and preferred driving style

My thoughts are the same as Kart.68 that a 13T will be faster but I have not tested this hypotheses.

However as you say - Mark Pollard - is faster at Hornsby.

CONCLUSION

Now we all know everything there is to know on this topic for the moment.

Happy New Year and see you in Feb.

Thanks for your reply FoxBox.

as for the discussion part of your post, I do agree with the thought that the GT3 cars are under powered, but I would hope a full discussion would be forthcoming before the national rules are changed.

having a think about this last night and checking my roll out booklet I found that even with a 26-26.5mm tyre, having a 13t pinion gives a larger rollout than a 27.5mm tyre with a 12t pinion.

having found that the Cup car really likes a rear tyre size of around 26.5mm or so, you would think the GT3 would be looking for the same rollout , considering many things on both cars are either the same, or similar.

Unfortunately no testing until the new year for the Melbourne guys, Hallam is closed until the 2nd Jan.

Hey Brett 

no mention of a national rule change. I’d say foxy is trying to give the racers an option. As you rightly say this class seems to be getting caught by other classes speed wise. Not that speed is the be all end all but when other classes start to close the gap 🤷‍♂️

Brett, as far as I know the National Rules are not changing. The HSC event is a one off event and I'm really looking forward to test and tune the day before the event. I have motors that are I thought were dogs in GT3 but surprised me by being really good in Cup cars with a 13t. Conversely the same thing happened when I had some ordinary motors in cupcars that came alive in GT3 with a 12T.  Some of my best lap times in GT3 have been 12/44 and 27mm tyres.. so what's the best ratio.. buggered if I know... give me a motor and I'll work it out on the day. 

• Like 1

Guys, I was not implying that FoxBox was trying to change the national rules, just that I hope there is discussion before they are changed.

and I actually think this event may be the tipping point for that discussion.

I’ve already got motors, tyres and chassis’s ready for testing as soon as Hallam opens after the new year.

i don’t think we need to go to an NSR 30k, I’m sure SRP do a comparable motor at a third of the price. ;)

I have only 1 question, if the testing was inconclusive ..... why are we over riding the national rules and changing/altering the pinion size ? 

I agree that the performance restrictions for GT3 need to be addressed, but there is a time and place for that, this change contravenes the rules irrespective of raceway/race directors discretion.

Surely we shouldnt be having a 'discrectionary' rule set   

Am i the only cynic here ?  

Please dont take this post or its questioning as inflammatory, as thats not the intention, i am however concerned with the altering of rules 

• Like 1

At this stage Ian it’s as follows to my understanding. 
Slotworx         is by Garry 

GT3                  is by Andrew as he produces the bodies and thought of the class . 
Plafit               Is Werner as importer etc 

Scaleauto.     Is Werner at the moment    

In my option National rules should never be diverted from at major race meetings.

I do agree that GT3 could be made faster and Ben has started another thread to see other racers views . The big tracks of River City , Hallam, Hornsby and Bullring show that the open chassis are clearly able to handle the speed .

Cheers Pagey 

On 12/26/2019 at 6:11 PM, kart.68 said:

I Think the GT3 needs a boost now OLMP has died it is our premier class, may be the 13T will do it our a 30.000RPM NSR our SRP.

I agree..  I would like to see these cars on a National level with the faster motors. The Slotworx cars are getting closer and closer to GT3 times for nearly 1/2 the price. Club tracks can run whatever they like and the 25k is more than adequate on the shorter tracks. Apparently it costs no more to buy a 30 or 35k SRP so it's not an expensive option.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Axman said:

I agree..  I would like to see these cars on a National level with the faster motors. The Slotworx cars are getting closer and closer to GT3 times for nearly 1/2 the price. Club tracks can run whatever they like and the 25k is more than adequate on the shorter tracks. Apparently it costs no more to buy a 30 or 35k SRP so it's not an expensive option.  

Kim, I have put a NSR 30,000 in My GJ GT3 on my 34mt track and it is a rocket. The SRP motors 30 our 35 would be great.

Edited by kart.68
45 minutes ago, kart.68 said:

Kim, I have put a NSR 30,000 in My GJ GT3 on my 34mt track and it is a rocket. The SRP motors 30 our 35 would be great.

Makes sense to me.. we have sophisticated expensive chassis dumbed down with the same motors we run in the base classes.

I see Benno has started a separate thread on this.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Can you please remove Team Nissan from the Porsche Cup race on sunday. This will free up a space on the grid for another team to enter.

Please add Clinton to Stallion Racing for the Porsche Cup race.

• Like 1