Australian Model Car Racers Forum
BrettC

BRM TransAm

I've just finished setting these beauties up for Friday night rubber tyre racing at MR SlotCar and for the Pheonix group racing on Saturday night.

Rules are not much more than a true and glue for the tyres, and a little bit of weight to even them up, wheel base and track width are the same on both makes.

in testing both makes are very even in lap times, with less than a tenth between them.

Red Camaro and Orange Mustang are mine, the White Camaro is GregC's.

image.jpeg

Hi guys,

Don't know these cars at all, but it could be a good change to the classes I run at EE.au. Please allow me a few questions:

- what is the total weight

- what is the motor rpm

- does it use 3mm axles

- what diameter are wheels

- what is the cost

- who is the Aussie distributor

It will be great if you guys could give some idea of the laptimes they do at MR - I assume you guys are racing them upstairs?

Thanks,

JanR 

. Please allow me a few questions:

- what is the total weight          - about 190 grams 

- what is the motor rpm             - 25,000 RPM & 325g/cm torque  - BRM Black T-RS EVO 

- does it use 3mm axles           - Yes 

- what diameter are wheels        - 17mm 

- what is the cost                       -  about $230  recommended retail 

- who is the Aussie distributor  - A.J. Leeman Hobbies Pty

Lap times  at MR .sorry do not now this place. I race mainly back yard tracks in  Adelaide

don't now lap times yet still working on it

hope this helps Jan

We weight then up to a total of 205g, some in the body to make them even and same for the chassis.

lap times around Hallam are around 9.0 sec, but a few have gone 8.9sec.

the rules we run to are more blueprinting the standard parts and to make them even.

ive seen out of the box cars with tread still on the tyres run 9.2sec.

they are great to race this way, and keeping them neat gives a good lap, as soon as you start getting them sideways you drop back and lose time.

gear ratio is 11/38, and with the tall tyres (27.5 mm) they don’t have great brakes.

2 hours ago, ding said:

I like your thinking Jan......................B|

ding...:P

...you know me too well Steve  :D Time to start looking at a different class - all the GT classes are getting too much and with 1:1 V8's gone, who knows...

Hi Deamon and Brett,

Fantastic, OK will order a couple of these and start playing - will be good to race something different from the crowd. I will let you know how I/we (there are a few of us needing a change) are going with them. Please continue to update your experiences and how you guys are racing these to maximise the enjoyment.

Brett, from your comments I gather you only true the standard tyres - so are you running them before or after the other classes? I am curious as my previous experiences mixing hard rubber with sponge tyre classes left the grip broken up by the hard rubber tyres on our board gloss finish tracks.

Cheers,

JanR 

Yes, standard tyres I’ve just taken the tread off, we have rubber tyre nights on Friday, foam tyre nights are on a Saturday.

just rum foam first if if you want to race them both on the same night.

turn the voltage down for them, much nicer to drive.

not mentioned yet, but they have a full alloy chassis.

Edited by BrettC

Thanks guys, 

We have ordered a few of them to try out - really want to find something different to race. If they don't inspire as is, then the bodies may fulfil our desire in some or the other way.

Will keep you posted.

JanR

The weight specified in our rule set really helps with turning, I was frustrated that the Camaro was a couple of tenths quicker than the Mustang, so started moving the weight around, it went from a 9.1 sec car to a 8.8 sec car.

now I just have to hide it so no one else can see where I placed it. :)

Sorry Jan, only just spotted you question about volts, we run them at 10 v.

and testing has started with eurethane tyres, as the standard ones are wearing quite quickly.

Look what has arrived.....

brm.jpg.6ae0b3d830fc2b0348cba81f4d8c5214.jpg

Mark (BVR) and I both ordered a Mustang and a Camero each, but chose the liveries so as to be able to run them each on a specific lane colour on our two tracks (we may introduce them to our locals on basis of everyone drive every car). Mark went with the #16 and 76, mine are the #9 and 15. Now we just need some setup tips from the gurus and perhaps a suggested rule set for racing. Can't wait to try them - we may even run them on a 'break-out' system for something different.

Cheers,

JanR 

this is our rules

1/24 BRM TRANS AM CLASS.           

1.    The cars are to be out of the box BRM Italia specification & parts.!          No alteration in chassis or body height is permitted. !  

2.    Only BRM E 22 or E25M tyres to be fitted to the rear !          Dimensions of the tyres are to be: !          Minimum outside diameter -  Front 23.5mm - Rear 24.5 !          Maximum outside diameter -  Front  & Rear 30mm !          Maximum width - all tyres 15mm -  Minimum width all tyres 13mm !

3.    Only the BRM  Black Motor S-033(S) T-RS EVO ( 25K ) is permitted. !  

4.     The body retaining screws can be loosened to permit body float!  

5.    Ballast Weight can NOT be added to the chassis or body !  

6.    The front axle supports can only be attached to the body support plate not to the motor & guide plate!  

7.    The Gear ratio is only to be 38T Crown to 12T pinion and only BRM supplied gears are to be used. 

Hi guys,

I notice the guys in SA are allowing two different tyres. Are these  different compounds? I also see they specify a 12T pinion - don't the cars all come with an 11T pinion?

JanR 

On 04/01/2018 at 11:03 PM, deamon 64 said:

1/24 BRM TRANS AM CLASS.           

The front axle supports can only be attached to the body support plate not to the motor & guide plate!  

Brett and Mark,

Are you guys regulating this?

JanR 

Hi Jan.

cars come with a 11t pinion, and don't have a lot of brakes, hate to think what they're like with a 12t.

i was actually going to try a car with a 41 t spur, ( BRM Spurs only come in 38, 41 and 42 ), to take some top end out of them, and give them some brakes.

We're not regulating the front axle mounts, but have told all the guys in the club racing them to leave them as standard.

to set them up on the motor/guide plate you'd need to space them up by about 1-1/2 mm.

we may look at it later, but we're trying to leave things as standard as possible to get as many guys racing them as possible, and a lot of the guys racing these at Hallam are only just starting out in 24th scale, so keeping it simple evens things out a bit more.