Australian Model Car Racers Forum

Lexan Shootout @ Seagulls

FoxBox

Hi All

I am announcing the first big race at Kim Axton’s new track located in the Seagulls Club Tweed Heads.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1633

It’s going to be the best thing since the 2021 Lexan Shootout at HSC in February. So if you missed that or went and had a great time (as everybody did) make sure to put this in your calendar now.
If you go nowhere else this year you should come to this!

When is it happening

On the NSW Labour day long weekend in October 1st to 3rd (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) Monday 4th is a public holiday in NSW.

Where is it happening

Seagulls Club Tweed Heads.
https://seagullsclub.com.au/

The Seagulls club is just awesome given that it is in an idyllic location and very civilised with: - a fantastic new track built by Kim, a spacious premises and – wait for it – a bar and restaurant downstairs in addition to loads of parking. We won’t even have to cross the road to the Blue Gum to have a bevvy and start the post-mortem and the BS. You may even buy a beer and come back to the track to watch the race in between driving and marshalling – in fact I strongly encourage you to do this.

What is happening exactly

Racing will consist of: -
- an individual sprint race for Aussie Retro CanAm (teched to NSW Aussie Retro Rules) and;
- two Enduros of minimum 3.5 hours (or longer dependant on entry numbers) for Slotworx Porsche Cup and GT3 cars teched to current national rule set – motor and gearing for the GT3 class to be confirmed closer to the date.

Who is racing

No limit on entries for Aussie Retro CanAm.
A maximum of 10 Teams of 3 drivers in each Enduro class.
Nominate your teams ASAP to avoid disappointment.

Schedule (to be finessed as necessary)

Friday 1st October

10:00 to 18:00 Track open for all day practice @ $15 per driver
18:00 to 19:30 Dinner break
19:30 to 22:00 Aussie Retro CanAm Sprint Race @ $10 per entry

The idea of this race is to introduce this class to those who may not have had the pleasure; racers that have excess cars available are encouraged to loan out a car or two if possible to increase participation.

Kim will in all likelihood have a limited supply of these cars built and prepared to RTR standards by Wayne Bramble for sale prior to the race or you could also build your own.

This race is all be about fun and so tech will be relaxed and it is BYO Cheetah IV motor.

Current Rule Set is here: - 
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1254

Saturday 2nd October
Slotworx Porsche Cup Enduro – Max 10 teams - $150 per team.

10:00 to 12:00 Track open for motor hand-out and practice.
12:00 to 12:30 Tech
12:30 to 12:40 Concours
12:40 to 13:00 Qualifying and Lane draw
13:00 to Finish of Racing (Finish time depends on Team numbers but by 19:00 at latest for dinner)

Sunday 3rd October
GT3 Enduro – Max 10 teams - $150 per team.

10:00 to 12:00 Track open for motor hand-out and practice.
12:00 to 12:30 Tech
12:30 to 12:40 Concours
12:40 to 13:00 Qualifying and Lane draw
13:00 to Finish of Racing (Finish time depends on Team numbers but by 19:00 at latest for dinner combined with presentations)

OK that is the guts of it – slight changes may be made depending on interest etc but Kim is all systems go for this.

Accommodation choices will be investigated and suggested ASAP (or have a crack yourself) but I can tell you that as a young drop-out in the mid 70s I lived in this area and it is an absolutely beautiful part of the country.

So bring your surf board and your current squeeze; have a little holiday and race slot cars as well.

Cheers
FoxBox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here are the rule sets for this Race Series

CanAm

Regulations are published on ASCRA Forum website: -

http://forum.ascra.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1254

As stated the tech will be soft – what do I mean by this?

So long as the car shows a general conformity to the regulations it will be accepted – thus for example  if you are say .020’ too wide (and can’t be easily remedied by say removing a spacer) or your wheels are say .010” under in diameter but your car is constructed as outlined and has the required clearance it will pass tech.

There are two distinct alterations to the regs as well.

Chassis Construction

Regulation CA-2d

I have been made aware that quite a large number of Retro cars have been purchased from the USA and many of these have been fitted with ball races.

There is no requirement to follow Regulation CA-2d which states NO ball-races to be used. You may keep them in and not go through the palaver of changing to oilites.

This applies to the rear only - no ball races at front.

Regulation CA-2a

While not specifically mentioned you MAY use a piece of PCB or a BUTTERFLY CLIP to manage lead wires.

Bodies

Both ruling bodies in the USA (SCRRA and IRRA) have separate approved body listing whilst our regulations allow any body on either list to be used.

SCRRA rules state the body max width is 3-3/16" (3.188") whilst IRRA rules allow 3-1/4" (3.250").

Thus the Aussie Retro Rule CA-4i will be amended to allow body width to be up to 3.25" as measured across the front and rear wheel arches.

SCRRA rules state the body max length is 6-1/2" (6.50") whilst IRRA rules allow 6-3/4" (6.75").

Thus the Aussie Retro Rule CA-4i will be amended to allow body length to be up to 6.75"

Tape / Lead

Regulation CA-7b

This regulation has never been enforced and you may use tape which is on the bottom of the car to moderate body or chassis movement so long as the clearance rules are adhered to.

GT3

Regulations are published on ACE Hobbies website

https://www.acehobbies.com.au/galleries/category/14-2018regulations-124lexangt3

Motor will be TBA

Gearing will be TBA

Slotworx Porsche Cup

Regulations are published on ACE Hobbies website

https://www.acehobbies.com.au/galleries/category/13-2018regulations-124slotworxporschecup

Motor will be SRP25L

Gearing will be 13/44

Cheers

• Like 2

A lot, all the USA ones I have ball races and have sold 3 to people racing at this event, I have 2 chassis the same one with balls and one with oil lites no difference in times, but  a pain to un clue them, a reamed and polished bush is  as good as a bearing and will not shatter in a big impact,

Edited by kart.68

Hey Cam and others,

Controller plugs at Kim's track are the standard Aussie 240V flat pin female wired as per norm: -

Red     - Active

White  - Neutral

Black   - Earth

So nothing to do in that regard

Cheers

• Like 2

Hi Kim and Fox , I would like to come up and race retro , and would be available for the other races if anyone needs a team mate . As you know I am in SA so hopefully the COVID regulations won’t mess up everyone’s travel plans . PeterD

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Peter D said:

Hi Kim and Fox , I would like to come up and race retro , and would be available for the other races if anyone needs a team mate

Hi Peter

You are more than welcome to race Retro as there is no entry number limit.

I am sure you will be able to find a team for the other classes as there are some teams that have not been finalised. Be great to have you be a part of it.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Covid to abate by then.

Cheers

FoxBox

Agree.. be great to see you Peter.. I'm pretty excited about introducing Retro to this end of the country. Had a lot of interest already. 

Me, Fox and Garry tried to get Retro happening a few years ago but after two trips to the Browns Plains track and finding the doors shut we sort of gave up. 

• Like 1

• FoxBox locked this topic