Australian Model Car Racers Forum

2022 Australia Day Classic - Racing at Seagulls

FoxBox

Hi All,

Well our slot racing schedule and life generally has been FUBAR for the past couple of years. However with vaccination rates on the up and various state governments now having tentative roadmaps to open up we can maybe dream of catching up and racing again.

With a little optimism I therefore announce that the previously scheduled  'Lexan Shootout @ Seagulls' will now be rebranded and scheduled for the weekend prior to Australia Day with the same format as initially announced.

2022 AUSTRALIA DAY CLASSIC @ SEAGULLS

What is Racing
individual Sprint
- Aussie Retro CanAm
Two Enduros of minimum 3.5 hours (or longer dependant on entry numbers)
- Slotworx Porsche Cup
- Lexan GT3 cars  – motor and gearing to be confirmed closer to the date.

Who is Racing
No limit on entries for Aussie Retro CanAm.
A maximum of 10 Teams of 3 drivers in each Enduro class.
Nominate your teams ASAP to avoid disappointment.

Schedule (to be finessed as necessary)

Friday 21st January

10:00 to 18:00 Track open for all day practice @ $20 per driver
18:00 to 19:30 Dinner break
19:30 to 22:00 Aussie Retro CanAm Sprint Race @ $10 per entry
Teched to NSW Aussie Retro Rules

This rule set will be updated to allow for the issues raised in the previous race announcement regarding ball races, body dimensions' use of lead and tape for tuning and lead-wire management: - 

The idea of this race is to introduce this class to those who may not have had the pleasure; racers that have excess cars available are encouraged to loan out a car or two if possible to increase participation.

Kim will in all likelihood have a limited supply of these cars built and prepared to RTR standards by Wayne Bramble for sale prior to the race or you could also build your own.

This race is all about fun and so tech will be 'relaxed' and it is BYO Cheetah IV motor.

Saturday 22nd January
Slotworx Porsche Cup Enduro – Max 10 teams - $150 per team.
Teched to prevailing national rule set (please note that any mix of Gen I and Gen II components will be allowed as will Plafit front axle bearing holders on Gen II Tee plate)
Handout SRP 25L geared 13/44

10:00 to 12:00 Track open for motor hand-out and practice.
12:00 to 12:30 Tech
12:30 to 12:40 Concours
12:40 to 13:00 Qualifying and Lane draw
13:00 to Finish of Racing (Finish time depends on Team numbers but by 19:00 at latest for dinner)

Sunday 23rd January
GT3 Enduro – Max 10 teams - $150 per team.
Teched to prevailing national rule set

10:00 to 12:00 Track open for motor hand-out and practice.
12:00 to 12:30 Tech
12:30 to 12:40 Concours
12:40 to 13:00 Qualifying and Lane draw
13:00 to Finish of Racing (Finish time depends on Team numbers but by 19:00 at latest for dinner combined with presentations)

OK that is the guts of it – slight changes may be made depending on interest etc but hopefully it will be all systems go for this.

Cheers
FoxBox
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Well it looks like we will - fingers crossed - be racing at Seagulls in the New Year.

Some further information regarding this event: -

Retro CanAm

BYO Cheetah IV motors as announced.

Rules are have been updated and posted here: -

http://forum.ascra.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1254

Porsche Cup

BYO clearly marked SRP 25L Motor

13t Pinion

Rules are posted here: -

http://ausmcr.com/forum/index.php?/topic/495-interim-slotworx-porsche-cup-rules/

Lexan GT3

Handout NSR 25K

12T Pinion

Rules are per ACE Hobbies website: -

https://www.acehobbies.com.au/galleries/category/14-2018regulations-124lexangt3

Cheers

FoxBox

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody, just posting to let you know ( short of me getting covid in the next two weeks) this event is going ahead. 

Trophies look great and the track has had a very favourible response from all that have raced on it.

With concerns re the current Covid pandemic some teams have contacted me and are struggling to achieve a 3 man team but still want 

to attend.

In light of this I am announcing this race can be a 2 or 3 person teams event. The race format for teams events will be 7 x 45 minute

brackets. with driver changes every 15 minutes.  Two man teams the driver changes will be A,B,A,B etc 3 man teams will be

A,B,C, A,B,C, etc etc  The track computer will be set for a power off driver change every 15 minutes so driver/ marshall

change can happen in an orderly manner and not distanvantage any teams or continuity of marshalling duties. . At your earliest

convenience please let me or Fox know what events you can attend, your team name, and the drivers in your team. 

Here is the art proofs for this events trophies. 

Regards, Kim

Please note: In the interest of team members being Covid safe this will be a closed event from the general public. Only race entrants and
the organiser will be allowed in the Slot car track area.

1.png

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-2.png

• Like 1

Great decision  Kim,

I think the 2 or 3 person team format is totally practical given the circumstances.

The Trophies look absolutely awesome

Personally Darryl and myself are super looking forward to having a race at this venue along with our new FAT Racing team mate Ken McAndrew.

My Argentinian Pit Crew are very disappointed that this is a closed event but understand completely.

image.png

So bring your RATs and fastest cars and lets all have a race and b'shit session like no other - we all deserve it after the past couple of years.

See you all soon.

Cheers FoxBox

• Like 1

Hi All,

Just a quick update on the ADC.

Teams Races can consist of 2 or 3 persons.

The race format for teams events will be 7 x 30 minute as initially envisioned (many of us are too old for any more than this I hear on the grapevine).

Driver changes every 10 minutes with the track computer set for a power off for the driver change.

Three person teams will follow the change pattern of:-    A-B-C      A-B-C    A-B-C  etc

Two person teams will follow the change pattern of:-       A-B-A      B-A-B    A-B-A  etc

Entry Fees have been reduced and will now be: -

Saturday Porsche Cup is now $100 per team

Sunday Lexan GT3 is now $120 per team (extra $20 to cover the hand-out motor).

Currently after some cancellations and other changes we have: -

image.png

Cheers

FoxBox

Hi Guys,

The Retro event is a walk-up affair and as far as I can ascertain the current situation is: -

image.png

So that's maybe 17 which would translate to 2 round-robin races.

Cheers

FoxBox

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Here is the final program for this event.

At this point it looks like the Retro will be 2 round-robin affairs of 8 racers with 4 min brackets.

The team's races will be 30 min brackets with driver changes as described above - with absolutely no variations to the pattern.

image.png

Any questions please post on this thread.

Cheers

FoxBox

• Like 2

Hi Guys

It is actually quite difficult in practice to accurately measure the wheelbase and/or the polar length of an assembled Slotworx car - this was never a tech issue with Gen 1 - if the car was made to regulation the desired result was obtained automatically - however with Gen 2 being adjustable I have put together the following table to assist measuring these.

image.png

Regards

FoxBox

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

The racing at Seagulls over this weekend was fantastic with the combination of a great Race Centre provided by Kim Axton, superb facilities for eating and drinking provided by Seagulls Club and lots of race action and camaraderie provided by the racers.

I am certain that I can say without a doubt that a good time was had by all and new friends made by all also - a great weekend all-round.

Retro CanAm

Twelve entries enabled 2 races of 6.

03-IMG_3249.JPG04-IMG_3251.JPG05-IMG_3253.JPG06-IMG_3258.JPG

B Main

Great tussle between Alan and Kim in this race with Alan just prevailing.

07-IMG_3263.JPG

A Main

This was a hard fought race indeed with only 7 laps between the top 6 finishers but it was the local gun Rusty who held off TQ man Jack and Cody.

08-IMG_3265.JPG

Wrap up

image.png

Rusty more or less had the race under control at the start of the 6th bracket but was pushed hard all the way by Jack and Cody to finally earn an excellent win.

09-IMG_3267.JPG10-IMG_3270.JPG11-IMG_3272.JPG12-IMG_3273.JPG13-IMG_3274.JPG

Porsche Cup

A full field of 7 entries here.

14-IMG_3277.JPG15-IMG_3278.JPG

image.png

16-IMG_3285.JPG17-IMG_3288.JPG18-IMG_3293.JPG

GT3

Another full field.

19-IMG_3303.JPG20-IMG_3307.JPG21-IMG_3305.JPG22-IMG_3309.JPG

image.png

23-IMG_3312.JPG24-IMG_3314.JPG25-IMG_3318.JPG26-IMG_3320.JPG27-IMG_3323.JPG

That sums up this event for this year.

Cheers

FoxBox

• Like 3

Thanks Mark ,.great report and pics.

I would like to thank Kim and Mark for their outstanding efforts in running a fantastic race event,

a big thanks to Mark for preparing  the GT3 car for Ken and myself, a real pleasure to drive.

,,and again for the prep work on the Porsche,,,,so smooth !!!!!!!!.

Great racing with old and new friends,,,great atmosphere,,  very fast racing,,,, well done all.

Looking forward to more of this fun in the future

thanks Darryl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1