Australian Model Car Racers Forum

Body Mount Plate Nuts

With the new Scaleauto chassis released, mounting a body up to the chassis can be quite a challenge as the body mount screws are completely hidden under the chassis. Holding the nuts and tightening the screws can be a frustrating exercise.

These plate nuts make the job a whole lot easier and provide more surface area to hold the body in place after a hit. Still not the easist body to get into the correct position as you need to just nip up the screws so the body can move when setting up. You then have to remove the body while not disturbing the mounts and tighten. At least with these you don’t have to hold the nuts which are in an awkward position to begin with.

They also still work with the old chassis and will have some soon for Plafit 1700.

I’ve got plenty in stock for those interested.

Cheers,

- Cam

434D71E3-4818-4974-908E-140E0E6AF1A6.jpeg

230CD0A2-A508-4022-AF38-45A0BB922357.jpeg

BE972B33-47A6-4920-B899-B5C9CD01105A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

Thanks Cam.. good idea.  I just built one of the new Scaleauto's and found the holes don't line up for correctly to suit  the wheelbase of the Viper. One set of holes are too far forward, the other too far back. Have you had a similar problem.. looks like the carbon fibre holes  need to be filed to be slightly elongated... and its not in the permitted rules. O.o 

Why could'nt they have made it like the old chassis with slotted holes to accommodate any body style...    

Cam,

I cannot see how the body mounts are any different from the original mounts? The nuts always were where they are now.

Kim, exactly!! But this is why this class will go down the slippery slope of modification after modification until nobody anylonger know what is allowed and what is not. When the initial discussions around the inclusion of the new chassis and the suggested modifications were put forward, very few guys actually paid attention to the detail - so good luck with it now.

Cheers,

JanR 

DB-1.jpg.52a41961f41dd323d3e6bcfb141240ae.jpg

I've been making the same thing for the past 5 years. I don't sell them but I've given plenty away.

The difference between the old chassis and the new is on the old one you could get at the screws with the body on, on the new one you can't. So as Cam says you tighten so you can just move the body into position, then carefully remove the body and fully tighten. If you draw around the mounting plate with a fine marker when it's in the right position it makes it easier to put it back in the right spot if it moves.

Garry,

Sorry, but still not with you. I have always adjusted the body mounting positions from the top - through the side window openings before fitting the lexan bits and interior. Of course to do that you need a 4.5mm socket driver. If I had to use the hard plastic bits, I would do the same. Just remove or loosen these from the body shell for that purpose. The nuts are clearly visible then. One rarely re-adjust these mountings once they have been done.

Cheers,

JanR  

Sorry Jan, I posted badly and did'nt explain correctly. I did not specify the area of concern correctly. The problem is not with the body mounts but the wheelbase.

The holes drilled in the T piece for the front axle blocks dont  allow the wheels to sit in the middle of the wheel arches.  Unlike the old chassis which had slotted hole there is no adjustment.. other than one set of holes too far foward, and one set of holes too far back. The wheelbase is wrong by about 1.5mm each way. 

Kim,

I understood your post  - maybe it was just me replying to you and Cam in the same post.

A reliable source (and valuable contributor to the original discussion) made the observation that to solve your problem - swap the front axle holders around, the left to the right and the right to the left. The axle offset will help to find the right  hole  combinations. 

My comment merely highlighted the fact that many times our first option seem to be some sort of modification being required. Anyway having said that - Scaleauto should really have made those front holes into a long slot. Much like we had on the original chassis or most modern day carbon fibre chassis options like the OARP LMP's or GT3 classes.

Cheers,

JanR 

7 hours ago, Springbok Racer said:

True, but that way we stick with what comes out of the box - which Is what these type of classes should always have as the main goal.

JanR 

The way I read nuts and bolts are free.

Edited by kart.68
a T
3 hours ago, kart.68 said:

The way I read nuts and bolts are free.

Yes you are right Ian - but with respect - not the point I was trying to make. By making certain allowances within all our rules, we always need to try and stay with the spirit of the class.

The allowed changes and modifications very often create 'modifications' themselves and then the inevitable slide start as we go from one to the next - eventually the class no longer look like the original class. This is especially a problem when we try to have a class of out-of-the-box racing. The class simply become too much of an expert and 'black-art' concept where guys coming into the class is at an immediate disadvantage. This sliding down the slope - under the guise of allowed modifications - eventually lead to the class dying as participants become disillusioned by the never-ending 'development and allowed modifications'. At best it just become another class, like all the other classes we have - a lot of cars we carry in our racing boxes and never race anylonger.

Anyway - end of my rant - like I said before. Good luck with it.

JanR 

• 2 years later...

Not as nice as Cam and Gary’s alloy ones, but work just as well.

laziness meant I still haven’t fitted these to either my SlotWorx V8, or cup Porsche, so when it came time to mount my ScaleAuto C7 body, saw Gary’s 3D printed axle carrier nut holders and thought, they’ll work perfectly, and they did after a small adjustment. ;)

I’m sure Gary is already producing proper ones after I showed him what I did.

A29AF5A1-F2DA-4960-A519-2D3ED312E4DE.jpeg

I too did these sometime ago .... I plagiarised Garrys SlotWorx mounts to suit. If you aren’t sweating on them

.... I can bring a couple of pairs with me to SlotFest

48DE31BF-0795-4811-9A04-2997FFB9BC42.jpeg

608DDBEC-C123-48FD-8E2F-ADB44A57CBDA.jpeg

Edited by Benno
6 hours ago, Garry J said:

That's a dog's breakfast Brett. I'll find the dimensions and make you something a bit more elegant.

but they work fine. ;)

just goes to show how good your original design is! Multi use. :)

thanks Benno, but not needed.

Edited by BrettC