Australian Model Car Racers Forum
Noel

1/24 Model Car Nationals (2018)

NOTICE - TEAMS CLOSED

Due to the number of teams and race schedule being calculated to suit, the entries are now closed . Teams may take on further drivers if needed but number of teams is now locked . Thanks for your  understanding.

This years 1/24 MCN is being held in NSW. 25th , 26th & 27th of May.

Pagey’s “Bull Ring” in Shellharbour 20 mins South of Wollongong . The track is 48 meters in length and an 8 laner. Progress photos of his build are on this forum. I will get Pagey to post accommodation details.

Thursday

Thursday night is the Bull Rings normal race night . Not sure at the moment if we will be holding a race night or practice sessions for the MCN . People are welcome to join us . It’s a $10 race fee for the night . Keep an eye out on our Race results page for updates for the night. The night  kicks off around 1800hrs until about 2200hrs 

Friday 

Friday practice is free for all racers. Starting at 0800hrs until 2200hrs  We will be holding organised brackets . Not a good idea to have a F1 on track same time as a hard body Scaleauto for example.

Saturday Race Day 

Saturday V8 Slotworx Teams Enduro 

-  2 man driver min and 4 man max . Cost per driver is $10 . 

-  Cars are as per national rules . Please note the changes to body ride height on older bodies please . 

- Motor nominated is the SRP 25K must be stamped . 

- Gearing is 12/44 

Saturday Plafit F1 Teams  Enduro 

- 2 man min and 4 man max . Cost is $10 per driver .

- Cars are as per national rules . 

- Motor is the Plafit Cheetah 4

- Gearing is open . 

Saturday Plafit FLM day/night Teams  Enduro. 

- 3 man min and 4 man  max . Cost is $10 per driver . 

- If you require a 3rd driver a name will be pulled out of the hat for the team so you can race . 

- Cars are as per national rules. Lights must be operational. However the front lens may be coloured.

- Motor is the Plafit Cheetah 4 

- Gearing is open . 

- We will be having a meal break half way through the event . A pizza run will be made and a chip in $ for the meal . 

Sunday Gt Race Day 

Scaleauto Teams Enduro 

2 man min and 4 man max . Cost is $10 per driver 

There will be two classes , each separately classified . In the same race at same time. 

Old

The SC-8000 old chassis , body combo as per the 2018 rule set .

- Motor is the standard SC26 Scaleauto. 

- Gearing is 12/44

- Plafit wheels and tyres are allowed.

- Ride height is 1.8mm 

New 

The SC-8003 new chassis body combo as per 2018 national rule set . 

- Motor is the standard SC 26 Scaleauto. 

- Gearing is 14/44 . 

Slotworx Porsche Cup Teams Enduro 

- 3 man min and 4 man max . Cost is $12 per driver . 

- If you require a 3rd driver a name will be pulled out of the hat for team so you can race. 

- Cars are as per national rules. 

-  Motor is the SRP 25K long can Motor must be stamped . 

- Gearing is 13/44

Motors 

There are no hand out motors for the event. Due to time restrictions and more track time . All motors will be inspected closely so please don’t do anything dishonest. Big group to explain yourself to . 

Opening hours 

24.5. Friday      0800hr till 2200hr 

25.5. Saturday 0700hr till late 

26.5. Sunday.   0700hr till end of racing . 

Trophies 

-Awarded to each driver in the team for 

1st, 2nd and 3rd . 

-  Concourse will be for all 5 classes of cars . It is a Model Car National,  So please make an effort on presentation. 

Slotworx V8, Plafit F1, Plafit FLM , Scaleauto and Slotworx Porsche.  

- Presentations will be directly after each race . 

Race Fees 

- Thursday night is $10 per driver

- Friday is free for practice all day 

-Saturday is $10 per driver per class 

- Sunday is $10 per driver for Scaleauto  and $12 per driver for Porsche Cup. 

- So for those who can’t add up ( like me ) it’s $52 per driver if you are in all 5 races . 

- No card option at track so cash only please . 

- Money is to be payed on the Friday please. If you are only available on Race day you have to pay before race . 

- Money is to help pay for trophies, 53 in total I think . 

Qualifying 

- No qualifying for any race on weekend. Reason is once again time . More track time racing I think is better value. 

- All teams will have name pulled out of a hat for Lane colour and race bracket. Equal chance for all . 

Track Power 

- The Slotworx V8, Scaleauto and Slotworx Porsche are all at 12.5v 

- The Plafit F1 and Plafit FLM are at 12v . 

Practice voltage will be adjusted to suit when cars are grouped on track . 

NOTICE    

With the large number of teams and men to work with the schedule has been designed with limited time wasted . For your racing track time . 

So! No preschool time wasting racers will be given any special time. Race starts on time ! With or with out you ! No exceptions or excuses. Also applied to tech checks . Not checked or in at correct time , no race . No exceptions or excuses . 

We have to stay on time especially with interstate travellers who have a 2hr return trip to Sydney for flights home . 

You have been warned but I’m sure we can all work together for a smooth enjoyable weekend. Stress free . 

-  Food and drink will be available at the track over the weekend. We are not a canteen so the menus will be limited to toasted SW , bacon egg rolls , Fruit and snacks etc . All at cost price, my kids and wife will be looking after that for us . 

- A full race program will will follow shortly. 

- We are very grateful to have Jason Brooks ( Brooksy) as our race director. 

- We will also have the services of Werner Ace Hobbies as our scrutineer. 

- Also Cam Slotworx will be scrutineering also if required . 

- Along with a great group of local race mates I’m sure everyone will have a great race weekend. 

Race schedule MCN 

Friday 

Tech check 

1800hr Slotworx V8 and Plafit F1 handed in for tech check . Ready to race next morning .

Saturday

0700hr track opens

0730hr  /  0745hr Draw lane and bracket for Slotworx V8 , Plafit F1 and Plafit FLM. 

0745hr /  0755hrDrivers briefing  

0800hr/ 1200hr Slotworx  V8 Enduro 

12 min / lane 

1 min  / lane change 

Tech check 

By 1200hr all cars are to be handed in for tech check . FLM , Scaleauto and Porsche . 

1215hr / 1615hr  Plafit F1 Enduro 

12 min / lane 

1 min  / lane change 

1630hr / 1845hr    Plafit FLM day Enduro 

12 min / lane 

1 min  / lane change 

1845hr  / 1930hr     Dinner break 

1930hr/2145hr Plafit FLM night Enduro 

time is combined over the two brackets for overall results. 

2145hr till late beer o’clock. 

Sunday 

0700hr      track opens 

0715hr  / 0730  Draw for start in Scaleauto and Slotworx Porsche Cup 

0745hr  /  1145 hr Scaleauto Enduro 

12 min / lane 

1 min /    lane change 

1200hr  / 1500hr   Slotworx Porsche Cup

20 min / per lane 

1 min /   lane change 

Note 

Cars tech checked on Friday night , V8 and F1. Make sure you are right with them . Limited time on Saturday morning to fix up any non compliance. Race will not be held up for non compliant cars . 

SATURDAY. TEAMS

Slotworx V8 

Drivers                                  Team

1. Cam / Pagey                      Slotworx

2. Chris /Jim                           Monster 

3. Ian/ Jack/ Paul                  Outer Towners

4. Ben / Garry                          Phoenix  1

5. Brooksy/Cody                     Phoenix 2

6. Troy / Jules                         Toby

7. Rodney/ Greg                      Linfox 

8. Steve / Nick.                        Outsiders

9. Pierre/ Mick                         Tassie wine 

10. Clinton / Jason                  Nissan 1

11. Charles / Steve.                 Nissan 2 

12. Gordon / Alvaro/JJ           Martini 

13. Jamie / Al                           Sugar Ants 

14. Peter/Ian.                            Loose nuts 

15. Foxy/Darryl/Stoo.              Fat racing 

16.  Andrew/Simon/Kim         Narangba

Plafit F1

Drivers                                        Team 

1. Pagey / Jim                           Red Bull 

2. Cam / Chris.                          Slotworx 

3. Ian/ Jack/Paul                      Outertowners

4. Ben/ Garry.                            Phoenix  1

5. Brooksy/ Cody                      Phoenix 2

6. Troy / Jules.                          Toby 

7. Rodney/ Greg                         Linfox 

8. Steve / Nick.                           Outsiders 

9. Pierre/ Mick                            Tassie wine 

10. Clinton / Jason.                    Nissan 1

11. Charles / Steve.                    Nissan 2 

12. Gordon / Alvaro/JJ              Martini 

13. Jamie / Al.                             Sugar ants 

14. Peter /Ian.                              Loose nuts

15. Foxy/ Darryl/Stoo.                Fat racing 

16. Andrew/Simon/Kim             Narangba    

Plafit FLM 

Drivers.                                     Teams 

1. Cam/Pagey/Chris/Jim        Slotworx 

2. Ian/Jack/Paul                       Outertowners

3.Ben/Garry/Brooksy/Cody.    Phoenix

4. Troy/Jules/Rod/Greg.          Linfox 

5.Clinton/Jason/Charles/Steve  Nissan 

6.Gordon/Alvaro/Jamie/Al      Martini 

7.Steve/Nick/Pierre/Mick        Outside wine

8.Peter/Ian/JJ                           Loose nuts

9.Foxy/Darryl/Stoo.                  Fat Racing

10. Kim/Andrew/Simon.          Narangba

Sunday Teams 

Scaleauto 

Please nominate what class you intend to race in Old or New  please.       

Drivers.                                       Teams 

1.Pagey /Chris.                         Red Bull 

2. Cam/ Jim                            Slotworx

3. Ian/Jack/Paul                       Outertowners

4. Ben /Garry                              Phoenix  1

5.Brooksy/Cody.                        Phoenix 2

6.Troy/Jules.                              Toby 

7.Rodney/Greg.                          Linfox

8. Steve/Nick.                             Outsiders 

9. Pierre/Mick.                            Tassie wine 

10. Clinton/Jason.                      Nissan 1

11. Charles/ Steve.                     Nissan 2

12. Gordon/Alvaro/JJ                Martini 

13. Jamie /Al.                              Sugar ants 

14.Peter / Ian.                              Loose nuts

15. Foxy/Darryl/Stoo.                 Fat Racing 

16. Andrew/Simon/Kim             Narangba

Slotworx Porsche 

Drivers.                                   Team 

1.Pagey/Cam/Chris/Jim.       Slotworx 

2.Ian/Jack/Paul.                      Outertowners

3.Ben/Garry/Brooksy/Cody.   Phoenix 

4.Clinton/Jason/Charles/Steve  Nissan 

5.Gordon/Alvaro/Jamie/Al.     Martini 

6.Rod/Greg/Troy/Jules            Linfox 

7.Steve/Nick/Pierre/Mick.       Outside wine 

8.Foxy/Darryl/Stoo.                  Fat Racing 

9.Peter/Ian/JJ.                          Loose nuts 

10.Kim/Andrew/Simon            Narangba 

Train travel from Sydney Domestic Terminal

Info on train transfer from Sydney domestic airport to Shellharbour Junction.

Would be best to research yourself though . 

C29CAE69-F4E0-472D-92C9-555E592B6615.jpeg

• Like 2

Awesome Noel, been a long time since a national event was held in NSW. 2013 was the last one, thanks for getting us a gig. The classes look great.

Cheers

- Cam

Thanks Noel for your efforts in putting together another top weekend for us . Looking forward to the event and love the Enduro format . More track time for everyone to race is always a winning format for me . It will be great to continue team races with Hornsby and Slotfest later in the year also . Looking like a top year of racing ahead .

Cheers Pagey 

Ok i am going to open up a hornets nest, but its a topic of interest around the traps. Much like Australia day vs invasion day.  When is the MCN going to actually support the "Hard body" model cars that come into the county. eg BRM  group C and trans-am , or a scratch built hard body class of which there are a plethora of opportunities.  To me it feels like another  Slot fest or Hornsby meeting . We should have a event that actually show cases the Slot cars that are available in the market of either scale , like we have attempted in the past.

I guess as an avid slot car racer i enjoy it all, but it feels like the same , same all round the country. !!!  . I guess we have the slot fest in Vic which primarily caters for "soft" shell cars, Hornsby  also "soft" shell. The MCN and APC are complimentary events which seem to rotate around the eastern states 

This is not disparaging the efforts of those who organise,  as these events can be a thankless task and only those who are resilient get through unscathed. Certainly good on noel ( who, correct me if i am wrong , is a QLDER ), its good to see him step up and look to do something in relation to MCN.  I think the MCN should be used as a tool to promote slot car racing in general , hopefully bring new participants to the hobby which will help with local suppliers , tracks and private clubs. Certainly shell harbour sounds like a great place to visit though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5a670392ed646_ShellharbourInformationPage2.JPG.7ee381b1f084f52c310de04252b6a4f3.JPGAccommodation, transport and food options below.

Pagey

Shellharbour Information Page 1.JPG

Shellharbour Information Page 3.JPG

Edited by Pagey
Included Clubs nearby

To answer your question Nomadracer not this year unfortunately. However if some one wants to take the reins for next year they can suggest what they want to run.  We are nearly one month into the new year so I thought I’d take the Bull Ring by the horns and nominate something. I didn’t want to stand on other events toes so got in as early as I could. For anyone out there who wants to organize a 1/32 MCN please feel free to do so. 

On 12/01/2018 at 11:23 PM, Noel said:

This years 1/24 MCN is being held in NSW. 25th , 26th & 27th of May.

Pagey’s “Bull Ring” in Shell Harbour 20 mins South of Woollongong. The track is 48 meters in length and an 8 laner. Progress photos of his build are on this forum. I will get Pagey to post accommodation details.

Friday practice is free for all racers ...

All classes on the Saturday are $10 per driver per class with a min of 2 drivers max of 4.

Sundays Scale Auto race is also $10 per driver.

the Slotworx Porsche race will be $12 per driver min of 3 max of 4.

Classes To Be Raced

Saturday

SlotWorx V8s 2 Hour Teams event

Plafit F1 2 Hour Teams event

Plafit FLM 4 Hour Teams event Day/Night 

GT  Sunday

Scale Auto 2 Hour Teams event

SlotWorx Porsche 4 Hour Teams event

Here are some photos of track under construction for those who are interested. 

C4DDBD3F-F057-491F-AFB2-20DBC00176CA.jpeg

FE04F368-E755-4B42-B53E-F53E524452CE.jpeg

39A70687-97CE-47E3-AC61-61245D1C3A92.jpeg

5CE3A78D-C358-4198-9979-07DA3751B5AA.jpeg

302E452A-3636-419B-B568-179366ADD027.jpeg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, nomadracer said:

Ok i am going to open up a hornets nest, but its a topic of interest around the traps. Much like Australia day vs invasion day.  When is the MCN going to actually support the "Hard body" model cars that come into the county. eg BRM  group C and trans-am , or a scratch built hard body class of which there are a plethora of opportunities.  To me it feels like another  Slot fest or Hornsby meeting . We should have a event that actually show cases the Slot cars that are available in the market of either scale , like we have attempted in the past.

I guess as an avid slot car racer i enjoy it all, but it feels like the same , same all round the country. !!!  . I guess we have the slot fest in Vic which primarily caters for "soft" shell cars, Hornsby  also "soft" shell. The MCN and APC are complimentary events which seem to rotate around the eastern states 

This is not disparaging the efforts of those who organise,  as these events can be a thankless task and only those who are resilient get through unscathed. Certainly good on noel ( who, correct me if i am wrong , is a QLDER ), its good to see him step up and look to do something in relation to MCN.  I think the MCN should be used as a tool to promote slot car racing in general , hopefully bring new participants to the hobby which will help with local suppliers , tracks and private clubs. Certainly shell harbour sounds like a great place to visit though

Hi nomad racer there is a Vic Plafit Titles that will include the hard bodies as well as a BRM Nats and a VMCA Nats at Mr SlotCar hard bodies

• Like 2

The unfortunate part to our hobby is that every state races totally different classes and even with in the individual states multiple classes are raced.  So it becomes very hard to please everybody. I’m sorry that all are not happy but as above is the problem. 

• Like 2

Nomad, I understand where you're coming from but have a look at the 2017 MCN Schedule and you will see why 1/24 and 1/32 has to be separate event weekends.

There were just too many classes and precious little track time for anyone to learn the track and tune cars. Out of towners were at a distinct disadvantage with 1/32 racing tying up the track on Friday for most of the day and only an hour or so for practise on the Saturday morning. 

There is no National body in 1/24th and as Noel said each state seems to have its own agenda so what is the right answer? Luckily, every year we are spoilt for choice with the events you mentioned above but at the end of the day organisers quiet rightly need to promote classes that will bring the most competitors and hopefully put some money back into the track owner's pocket to cover the use of the facility.

• Like 2

This looks like it will be a fantastic race weekend to be involved with. Thank you for the time and effort Noel and Glenn, plus any other behind the scenes guys have put in to planning the 1/24 MCN event. The build pics looking fantastic Glenn and a massive shout out for opening up your home and the Bull Ring for a national event. The racing I'm sure will be top notch and with Pagey being on his home turf, I'm fairly certain the night time drink sessions will be on another level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2018 at 11:16 PM, Axman said:

Nomad, I understand where you're coming from but have a look at the 2017 MCN Schedule and you will see why 1/24 and 1/32 has to be separate event weekends.

There were just too many classes and precious little track time for anyone to learn the track and tune cars. Out of towners were at a distinct disadvantage with 1/32 racing tying up the track on Friday for most of the day and only an hour or so for practise on the Saturday morning.

Hey Kim, 

Just a small correction on the above highlighted statement .... track was actually still being built when we arrived ( so no one had driven on the track prior to Arkin sliding his Slotworx around on lanes testing them ) so we were all in the same boat with regards to no practice.

And as an 'out of towner' i did feature ok there.

I didnt feel that there were too many classes there at all .... there was just too many time delays between classes and commencement  

On 1/25/2018 at 7:00 AM, Jason Bell said:

This looks like it will be a fantastic race weekend to be involved with. Thank you for the time and effort Noel and Glenn, plus any other behind the scenes guys have put in to planning the 1/24 MCN event. The build pics looking fantastic Glenn and a massive shout out for opening up your home and the Bull Ring for a national event. The racing I'm sure will be top notch and with Pagey being on his home turf, I'm fairly certain the night time drink sessions will be on another level.

What he said .........

• Like 1

Question for the Porsche class. I may only be able to get myself one other driver :(  chances of spare driver? Or would the allowance of having to pitstop for a allocated time to makeup for a third driver be permitted?

Not a problem at all Gordon . Teams events can be difficult,  organising mates with work and life commitments. I’m sure that we can find a driver or two if required. Same thing happened at Hornsby this weekend,  with a teammate unable to attend last minute . Everyone understood and some one doubled up to let the stranded bloke join in the racing. We are all about growing the hobby in my opinion. Great to have you coming . 👍🏻🤓 

• Like 1

Please let me know. And if they contact me on here. I am keen on v8s/porsche/scaleauto 

And possible f1.

I can also paint hard bodies on request. 

G’day Gordon . The classes will be all run under national rule sets . Found on this forum for Slotworx, Scaleauto and follow the link on the APC page for Plafit classes.  Or look up ACE hobbies. Full list of rules for the Plafit classes are also listed there . Now we have Hornsby run and won we will get onto finding you a team as soon as possible. Will PM details so you can organise and prep . Great to have you on board . 

• Like 1