Jump to content
Australian Model Car Racers Forum
kart.68

Slot Fest

Recommended Posts

As to the following complaint from Kart:
"Scrutineering tyres new out of packet to wide and you and I ground down to alloy for him had to fall out of Cams test tool, I measured my tyres on my Mitutoyo callipers 12.997 he checked on Cam's gauge the tool would not fall of got my tool fell straight out he the checked on his $10 callipers said 13.14 I got pissed with him and told him so went and got my Callipers he checked and them called Greg to check all good I let him use my callipers for the rest of classes."
Part of racing slot cars is having your car scrutineered and Event organizers must provide all actual scrutineering tools for the event at the start of official practice, we used the readily available Slotworx tool and the heads up was given to all racers on the practice day "the tool must fall of the tire on its own weight to pass"  no big deal one would have thought also after all the fuss about the accuracy of the tool I have had Cams tool for the V8's checked over by an engineering firm and it was found to be very, very accurate. The largest discrepancy being :045 of a mm, less than the thickness of a human hair or as the engineer who checked it said anyone complaining about that needs to get a life. Everything else was within :01 of a mm.  So well done Cam on making such an accurate gauge, I look forward to getting the Porsche one when we start racing them here regularly.
Back to the callipers, the $10 pair that Kart referred to were handed to me by another interstate racer and were not mine. Mine are also a pair of Mitutoyo callipers, thankfully not digital ones. I suggest Kart that you book in for an eye test as whilst your callipers were on the scrutineering desk I was using my pair in full view of yourself.
There was a slight bit of confusion about the rules regarding Porsche GT3s, half of the cars didn't meet the rules regarding exhaust pipes. I refer you all to the following: Porsche body rule F Supplied flexible exhaust pipes must be fitted, Rule H mirrors must be installed prior to scrutineering. All cars were allowed to run because it would have been a very small field otherwise also I was informed that they were allowed to run like that at Hornsby and they should be allowed to run here. If that is the case why have the rule in the first place, same thing with the mirrors which many removed before the race started.
The rules are the rules and should be adhered to as much as possible, they are not rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty. There were a lot more examples I could have used as well.
Here's a subtle hint for you all, don't throw a filthy look at the scrutineer as he will only look at your car a lot harder.
 Richard M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Richard M said:


Here's a subtle hint for you all, don't throw a filthy look at the scrutineer as he will only look at your car a lot harder.
 Richard M

 

 

Heres a subtle hint for you Richard ..... the role of a scrutineer is to be one of a neutral and unbiased manner ...... the fact that you even suggest that a nudge & wink will get you favourable treatment over a sideways glance tells me that you are not the right person for the job ! 

 

Hopefully those that should know will ensure that this doesnt happen in the future 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rules say 13mm maximum rear tyre width. A 13mm anything is not going to 'fall through' a 13mm hole. The tech tool would need a gap of at least 13.1mm (probably more) to work this way.

The rule is the rule. The tech tool is not the rule.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Richard M said:

As to the following complaint from Kart:
"Scrutineering tyres new out of packet to wide and you and I ground down to alloy for him had to fall out of Cams test tool, I measured my tyres on my Mitutoyo callipers 12.997 he checked on Cam's gauge the tool would not fall of got my tool fell straight out he the checked on his $10 callipers said 13.14 I got pissed with him and told him so went and got my Callipers he checked and them called Greg to check all good I let him use my callipers for the rest of classes."
Part of racing slot cars is having your car scrutineered and Event organizers must provide all actual scrutineering tools for the event at the start of official practice, we used the readily available Slotworx tool and the heads up was given to all racers on the practice day "the tool must fall of the tire on its own weight to pass"  no big deal one would have thought also after all the fuss about the accuracy of the tool I have had Cams tool for the V8's checked over by an engineering firm and it was found to be very, very accurate. The largest discrepancy being :045 of a mm, less than the thickness of a human hair or as the engineer who checked it said anyone complaining about that needs to get a life. Everything else was within :01 of a mm.  So well done Cam on making such an accurate gauge, I look forward to getting the Porsche one when we start racing them here regularly.
Back to the callipers, the $10 pair that Kart referred to were handed to me by another interstate racer and were not mine. Mine are also a pair of Mitutoyo callipers, thankfully not digital ones. I suggest Kart that you book in for an eye test as whilst your callipers were on the scrutineering desk I was using my pair in full view of yourself.
There was a slight bit of confusion about the rules regarding Porsche GT3s, half of the cars didn't meet the rules regarding exhaust pipes. I refer you all to the following: Porsche body rule F Supplied flexible exhaust pipes must be fitted, Rule H mirrors must be installed prior to scrutineering. All cars were allowed to run because it would have been a very small field otherwise also I was informed that they were allowed to run like that at Hornsby and they should be allowed to run here. If that is the case why have the rule in the first place, same thing with the mirrors which many removed before the race started.
The rules are the rules and should be adhered to as much as possible, they are not rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty. There were a lot more examples I could have used as well.
Here's a subtle hint for you all, don't throw a filthy look at the scrutineer as he will only look at your car a lot harder.
 Richard M

Richard, if you where the scrutineer , Why was my tyres no good buy you 13.144 on your callipers .my eyes are fine, With my callipers 12.997 and I took you my Cam's tool fell straight out 13mm tyre  will not fall out a 13mm hole you passed it I did not change it so your eyes our callipers are out, also my callipers are not digital butt are dialled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Garry J said:

The rules say 13mm maximum rear tyre width. A 13mm anything is not going to 'fall through' a 13mm hole. The tech tool would need a gap of at least 13.1mm (probably more) to work this way.

The rule is the rule. The tech tool is not the rule.

 

Agree 100%!

And a 1mm ride height tech tool will touch both the tech board and the chassis on a car with 1mm ride height.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly Brett, Werner is the best scrutineer I've seen, he uses a 0.9mm wire (or thereabouts) to measure clearance.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Garry J said:

Exactly Brett, Werner is the best scrutineer I've seen, he uses a 0.9mm wire (or thereabouts) to measure clearance.

 

 

Actually i measured it at MCN & if memory serves it was .95mm ( using Mito's ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

 

Agree 100% with Brett and Garry. In all my time of scrutinizing Scaleauto cars I always used a 1.77mm rod to check the 1.8mm ride height. All the guages we used were all manufactured to a tolerance that allow for a 0.03mm factor in favour of the competitor. Personally I have always believed that non compliance is the competitors problem and the scrutineer should view the situation as being deliberately caused or not. Afterall, the judgement lies in the competitors 'intention'. So if the tool incorporate the 'tolerance ' then the decision is very easy and for this reason the scrutineering tools should always be available to the racers before scrutineering.

 

In the end the rule is the rule and the scrutineer's decision is final.

 

JanR 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Jan wholeheartedly. Jan always said to me that when he Scrutineered that he did take into account the intent of the racer, if it was that close and not obvious he would err in the racers favour. Not sure I should have let that out  Jan however it was very fair in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries Noel - appreciate your supportive view. 

 

On this topic it might interest some if I shared an interesting scrutineering result from the 2010 and 2011 Worlds at Trier in Germany. I am sure Werner and Noel will recall as Werner was there in 2010 and Noel in 2011. In 2009 at the Worlds the usual banter was had about scrutineering so the organisers (I was part of the 3 person panel) decided to penalise offending competitors at future Worlds events:

 

- Offending cars will be placed on the starting grid together with the other cars for a race but the power on that lane will stay off for 2 seconds x the number of faults. Once the power comes on the offending car is taken off the grid and the fault(s) are fixed, then it is scrutineered and if correct placed back on the start line. The car could then be driven and raced together with all the cars that were already racing. (Obviously it was very costly to have something wrong on your car).

 

- In 2010 there were 7 such delayed start penalties applied out of the 72 competitors.

 

- In 2011 there were NO delayed start penalties as every car (74 if my memory serves me right) passed scrutineering first time.

 

......there is a lesson in there.....

 

JanR 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×