Australian Model Car Racers Forum

2021 Lexan Shootout (aka HSC Endurance Championships)

Hi All
The 2021 ‘Lexan Shootout’ will be held at Hornsby Slot Cars (HSC).

126a James Lane, Hornsby

Over 2 days as usual being the weekend of 27th & 28th February with Thursday and Friday 25th and 26th being open practice.  

As per previous years the classes and format will be: -

Saturday
GT3 - Sprint for single drivers
FLM - 2 member team race

Sunday
Porsche Cup - 3 or 4 member team.

Regulations 

The current regulations as posted on ACE Hobbies Web Site https://www.acehobbies.com.au/galleries  for these cars will be in force with the noted clarifications and exceptions as follows: -

GT3

New regulations for 2021 allow a choice of motor and pinion at discretion of race organiser (ie same as Slotworx Porsche Cup regulations)

https://www.acehobbies.com.au/galleries/category/14-2018regulations-124lexangt3

Motor will be SRP J5-Speed30 (long can) and pinion will be 13T.

No exceptions to these regulations

FLM

No new regulations for 2021

https://www.acehobbies.com.au/galleries/category/1-2018-regulations-124-formula-lemans

Exception to these regulations: -

Lights are not required for FLM. This means also that the light buckets do not require installation and the light lens may be painted in any fashion (including the body colour).

Porsche Cup

No new regulations for 2021 as yet

Motor will be SRP J5-Speed25 (long can) and pinion will be 13T (per previous years).

No exceptions to these regulations

Horsepower

This event will have supplied motors which you will have to purchase for GT3 and Porsche Cup.

Werner has again generously offered the motors for the FLM Team race so a big thanks to ACE Hobbies.

The motors will be marked by me and selected by you under controlled conditions as per previous year’s ‘Shootout’. 

Entry Fees  

Entry Fees (a slight increase on previous years for GT3 and FLM) are as follows: -  

Saturday’s Races are $25 per driver for each race. Monies to be paid at counter when nominating your (GT3) and team (FLM) entries

Sunday’s race (the BIG one) is $50 per driver. Monies to be paid to James when nominating your team.

Thursday and Friday open practice will be $10 per driver.

Schedule  

The finalised schedule of events will be available in due course (once entries are finalised) but please note the following:-

Thursday Practice will be from 12:00pm to 5:00pm and Friday will be 12:00pm to 5:30pm followed by GT3 concours and qualifying unless otherwise advised.

The start times for the 2 race days will be a little later than last year with the track opening at 9:00 am.
Scrutineering and Qualifying for the GT3 Sprint will be held on Friday and cars impounded overnight for a quick start first thing Saturday.
We will again have a 6 hour Enduro for the Porsche Cup cars so this means that it will be a late finish.

General
In order that the Sunday Enduro does not finish too late there is a limit of 10 Teams for the Porsche Cup event (there were 8 last year and 9 the year before). Previous entries will have priority BUT this expires after December 30, 2020 after which date it will be first in best dressed.

My preference is for it to be an 8 team event to replicate a real race rather than in Round Robin format which is a travesty of a race IMHO but I do not want to rule anybody out in what will certainly be the last race of this type at HSC.

With a limit of 10 Teams I calculate that the day will be done and dusted (including presentations) at approx. 7:00. Remember to book for a later flight out of Sydney or leave Monday.
So get building gents and don't forget to nominate your team/s and event/s.

Looking forward to racing and the debriefing at the Blue Gum with you all once again.

Cheers.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a fantastic weekend as always . Thank you Foxy for all your hard work through the weekend and especially your detailed preparation. A faultless program running to schedule is the result of all th

SATURDAY - GT3 AND FLM WITH PORSCHE CUP QUALIFYING   GT3                    

Another great Hornsby weekend.. thanks Fox for organising and running such a smooth well informed event. As usual it was great to catch up with old mates.. it's been a long time with Covid knocking ou

Posted Images

Thanks for the early interest Benno and Victory.

3 hours ago, Benno said:

Are you going to allow the new FLM bodies ? There are 3 new closed cockpit bodies that Andrew has done for a direct replacement of the Oreca 07 body 

First I have heard of these; I can only see 2 on ACE site (Oreca 07 and Peugeot 908)? Are these to be homologated for this class and the rules updated for 2021? If so then yes.

Cheers

Re FLM Body

Werner of Ace Hobbies has reached out regarding the use of bodies other than the mandated ACE - Oreca FLM09 Body Kit and states: -

'With the 1/24 FLM class there will be no changes for next year. The 2021 regulations are already published here :
https://www.acehobbies.com.au/galleries/category/1-2018-regulations-124-formula-lemans'

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Fox, 

Ill address the elephant in the room ..... COVID

With newer stricter restrictions being implemented, along with border closures, do we have a Plan B for the race ? With no other calendared racing, would it be worthwhile looking at postponing the race 

Cheers 

Benno 

Edited by Benno

Hi Benno

I have certainly been watching the elephant for many reasons with bated breath as I am sure we all have.

Its a tricky elephant which keeps changing its colour - it is impossible to predict what will be the situation in 8 weeks time given the potential changes to the restrictions etc.

At this point the race will stay as scheduled unless the situation deteriorates to a point where it is obvious that it will be impossible/imprudent  to proceed. James may also decide that he does not want the race to proceed on the basis of his own assessment.

As to a Plan B - at this stage there is none as any potential Plan B will have all the same caveats as the current Plan A - also we don't know if HSC will be in operation for much longer after February which limits any potential to schedule a different date.

There are only 2 Queenslanders scheduled to come at this stage and no Victorians and thus any border restrictions will only potentially impact 2 racers - the cause of any border restrictions will be an important consideration.

Cheers

Hi All

I have done some testing just prior to New Year with the SRP 30L motor and found it a real delight to drive around HSC with no bad habits that make it difficult.

It seems to be around 0.2 sec faster than the SRP 25L's I compared them with but only marginally faster than the quickest SRP 25L qualifying times for the past couple of years. However this was on a track which was nowhere as near 'rubber-ed up' as is typically found after a couple of days practice.

I tried both 12T and 13T pinions and found that the 13T was marginally quicker but more importantly it was 'nicer' driving with the 13T and so I am nominating the 13T for this race - I have updated my original post to reflect this.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All.

Some further information regarding the motors for this event.

GT3

As notified earlier the nominated motor is SRP 30L geared 13/44

These motors were quite difficult to source initially but I really wanted to give these motors an airing and eventually I managed to secure some from the UK and Werner was also able to get me some.

You may purchase and use these motors as soon as you pay your Race Entry Fee on the following basis.

For an unmarked practice only motor (which you will not be able to be use in the race) - $15

For 1 'race marked' motor which you may purchase from Thursday onward - $15

For 2 'race marked' motors which you may purchase from Thursday onward - $25 (for the pair)

- you may practice with these 'race marked' motors as soon as you purchase

- 'race marked' motors will be selected under controlled conditions and your selection will be recorded as done in previous years

- only the purchaser of the 'race marked' motor may use it in the race

- motors are 'race marked' in a manner that will not be able to be replicated and so I am confidant that the motors purchased will be the motors raced

- if you initially purchase 1 'race marked' motor and then decide to purchase another the price will be $15

- you are only allowed to purchase 2 'race marked' motors in total

FLM

As always the motor will be a Cheetah IV which Werner of ACE hobbies has again supplied for this meeting - a big thanks to Werner for his on-going support.

- these motors will be selected under controlled conditions, your selection will be recorded as done in previous years.

- if you are unhappy with you motor you may purchase another for $15 (there will be limited spare for this)

- as in previous years these motors may be selected during the GT3 race in which you are not competing or marshaling

Porsche Cup

As notified earlier the nominated motor is SRP 25L geared 13/44

- these motors will be paid for ($15) and selected under controlled conditions, your selection will be recorded as done in previous years.

- if you are unhappy with you motor you may purchase another for $15 (there will be limited spares for this)

- as in previous years these motors may be selected and paid for during the FLM race in which you are not competing or marshaling

General

In previous years I have taken the time (lots of it) to run these motors in but this year I will not - so you will do this yourself (if indeed you bother). All the motors have been run for about 10 sec on 3 volts to ensure that they actually run and that is the limit of my input excepting the marking.

Please let me know if you have any queries or if I have missed anything.

Looking forward to catching up for some racing in about 5 weeks time.

FoxBox

• Like 1

Hi All

1 hour ago, Wayne Bramble said:

Mark can we get start times for GT3 and FLM

As in previous years I will put together an exhaustive timetable including number and composition of races with length of brackets etc but this is not possible until I get final numbers however the skeleton will be as follows: -

Friday

5:00 pm  GT3 Tech

6:00 pm  GT3 Qualifying

Saturday

9:15am  GT3 Racing

12:30pm FLM Tech

1:15pm   FLM Qualifying

1:40pm  FLM Racing

5:45pm  Porsche Cup Tech

6:15pm  Porsche Cup Qualifying

Sunday

9:00  Porsche Cup Racing

Cheers

FoxBox

Hi All

Regarding the purchase of 'race marked' motors you may have someone else purchase for you if this is more convenient - they will be recorded as purchased by you.

Cheers

Huge thanks for organising this event Fox... As you say it will most likely be the last hurrah for Hornsby. 

For Sundays Main event Noel, Simon and I are teaming up as NSK Racing.

On Saturday for the FLM class it is me and Simon.. could'nt help myself, just had to call our team Kim Sim for this one.  Noel will be teaming up with Cam in this class only.

All of us will be entering the individual GT3 class. See you in a few weeks.. P.S. f the border closes to my co pilots I will still be coming..

will just need to recruit a couple of locals instead.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

Here is a summary of the regulations in use for this event.

1-Regs.jpg

Here are PDF Versions of the complete Rule Set for each of these classes if you want to download them:-

GT3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmw6yrb18brqfbn/124 Lexan GT3 - 2021 Regs.pdf?dl=0

FLM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9wx09pb9ijdtc4/124 Formula LeMans - 2021 Regs.pdf?dl=0

Porsche Cup

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jlttvlx6clvzm8/2021 Cup Car Rules.pdf?dl=0

Cheers

FoxBox